Tuesday 11 February 2014

Swimming Week - Part 2

As you will have read in my first post of "swimming week" I love swimming and my daughter is a true water baby.  But I have been a bit rubbish at taking my son swimming and only did it once in 7 months which I'm not proud of.  He enjoyed this first session when we went at 6 months (he's now 9 months) and loves his bath so when I took him a few weeks ago I wasn't expecting a negative reaction.  However he didn't like it and I think I underestimated the difference in him going into a small, warm bath to going into a big swimming pool. He wasn't happy the whole time we were in there.



I resolved after this to take him every week at least until I returned to work. I took him the following week after our disaster and there was proof that his memory is extending because as soon as we arrived on our second session he started crying in the changing rooms!! But we carried on and went into the pool, determined that we weren't getting out until I at least got a smile... And it worked!  We sang some songs, did some splashing and we even did a few underwater "swims" and he not only smiled but we got giggles too! Result! So I thought I would share a few top tips for taking your little ones swimming, please feel free to let me know of anymore!

  • Make sure you take them at a good time of day. IE I usually take my son around 3pm because he's had his long nap so he shouldn't be tired and he has a bottle at 2pm so he won't be hungry. It's worth trying where possible to ensure that they are not near nap time and won't be hungry to ensure they'll be as comfortable as possible. 
  • Stay calm! Think swan (project!!), you want to appear calm on the surface even if you're a ball of nerves underneath.  Your child will feed off your mood so calm and happy is the way forward
  • Start by having a cuddle with your little one and having a jump around the pool.  If you get splashed at all embrace it! Giving lots of cuddles is reassuring for them in this alien environment and it will help them feel secure.
  • You can wash their face to get wet, remember that you can do it too and smile whilst you do it!
  • Sing!! Singing is a great way to calm them down especially if they have a favourite song.  It doesn't have to be loud, it can just be calmly sung in their ear so they can hear it and no one else! Singing is a great distraction for them and also gives them something familiar.
  • You can move them around on their tummies with your hands under their shoulders and on their backs with their heads on your shoulder.  If your little one is teething then they may not like being on their back so don't force it if they don't like it just change positions.
  • Swish them from side to side (vertically but horizontally will work too) as they will like the lightweight feeling and this is actually an amazing trick to calm them down and helped my little boy! I did some swishing with him (my hands under his shoulders, him on his tummy) and this is when he started to relax.
  • Don't expect too much too soon, if they're not enjoying it then don't stay make yourselves stay in until they do smile as it may take a few short sessions before they relax and if you stay in too long they'll get cold which will make them even unhappier.
  • Have fun!!  Swimming especially at this young age should be about having fun and enjoying yourselves in the water.  It may take a few sessions before they're really having fun in the water so don't force it and just go with the flow.  

Later in the week I will post some more ideas of what to do with your child in the swimming pool as well as what to buy for swimming and how to cope with two little ones in the swimming pool.

2 comments:

  1. Great tips. I'm lucky, Potato has always been happy in the water. Sometimes he's too happy and totally fearless! He's forever launching himself off the side or out of my hands and he is totally unphased by going underwater. Thankfully, I'm also very calm in the water and don't panic to scoop him back up again, because I know that would panic him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right staying calm is so key! I used to teach a really fearless two year old, he wouldn't use armbands and would spend half his time under water! I love taking our daughter swimming because she's quite cautious in other aspects of life but luckily in swimming she's happy to go underwater and launch herself!

      Delete